The Hickories is looking for a full time Livestock Farmer to help move the farm’s animal business into its next phase of production. The job offers growth potential and the potential for “incubator farming experience” as well as profit-sharing opportunities to motivated, entrepreneurial individuals. We feel our livestock production could be a flagship in integrated and diversified animal husbandry for our region. We are seeking new farmers with a devotion to the care and well-being of animals as well as a willingness to work hard on their behalf. We are a production farm: our animals are grown for meat as well as fiber and help us with land management – and our livestock farmers must respect the importance of their role in providing protein to our community.
On a daily basis the farmer will be responsible for the care and feeding of livestock and other tasks related to maintaining the pastures and livestock buildings. Livestock Farmer must be able and willing to work with all species of livestock on the farm: sheep, pigs, chickens, and trout. Compensation will be based on experience. Weekend work will be required throughout the season, in rotation with the other farm staff.
Essential Job Duties
· Handle all species of livestock on the farm
· Troubleshoot problems and identify solutions.
· Be a teacher and mentor when the opportunity arises.
· Ensure timely and appropriate veterinary care of sick or injured animals as well as regular preventative care (FAMACHA)
· Oversee livestock record keeping; ensure it happens in a timely fashion and that there is appropriate documentation
· Manage freezer space and meat inventory
· With Livestock Manager, oversee marketing and sales of meat through on-farm sales (Farm Store, direct marketing sales, and wholesale accounts (chefs).)
· Make daily, on–the-spot decisions about livestock care
· Pasture management/ Pasture Maintenance
· Ordering feed and supplies
· Arrange slaughter dates
· Safe use and maintenance of equipment.
· Work with the owner to develop new revenue streams or engagement opportunities for livestock operation.
· Fence repair
· Help ensure that the farm office, farm trucks, and farm equipment buildings are kept in good order
· Uphold high aesthetic standards so that farm office, barns, pastures, etc. always look neat and in top condition
Ideal applicants should have the following competencies:
· Ability to work with The Hickories volunteers and employees in a collegial manner
· Ability to work alone
· Ability to speak and write English clearly
· Effective teacher in an experiential learning environment
· Well organized
· Ability to lift at least 50 pounds on a regular basis
· Willingness and ability to work outdoors in all weather
· Physically able to handle and move all species of livestock on the farm
· Basic carpentry skills
· Ability to operate basic farm equipment safely and effectively
· Ability to learn web-based software required for the job and for administrative purposes
· Basic ability to use a computer for email, calendaring, spreadsheets, and word processing
· Ability to use a smartphone for calls, email, texting, and apps
Required Education and Experience
· Valid US Driver’s License in good standing