FEE TO FISH GUIDELINES
When you arrive at the farm, you must check in at The Farm Store before proceeding to The Pond. Before you leave, you must have your fish counted and measured, as we need to keep careful records. You can pay for your fish with The Hickories representative at The Pond before you leave.
- You must keep what you catch – no catch & release. This is a fee-to-fish pond meant to provide healthy (virtually mercury-free) trout to feed our community. For a host of reasons, you may not throw fish back into the pond once you catch them.
- The entrance fee is $10 ($5 for CSA members) and non-refundable, rain or shine. Each fish is $14.00.
- All the trout in our pond are dinner-plate size or larger. Most are between 10-14 inches. There are several "trophy fish" in the pond. The price we charge is a flat rate per fish: that's why it's called fishing! You never know if you are going to catch "the big one
- Fly rods must have flies or streamers on them; spinning rods must have lures. For the sake of our pond ecology, no "people-food" or worms can be used as bait on hooks.
- Picnics with blankets are encouraged but all fishers must leave at the pond's closing time.
- Absolutely no alcohol or smoking is allowed at The Hickories.
- Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
- No swimming.
- No pets.
The Trout Pond will be open from 8am-6pm each weekend in October and November.
Fishing is a great way to share the outdoors with your friends or put your new fly fishing skills to work! Please be sure to read the guidelines thoroughly before signing up. Space is limited.
Bring your own rod/flies or borrow one from the farm (let us know in the comment section at checkout if you need to borrow a rod). If you have never fly-fished before, please take one of our Fly Fishing classes before coming to open fishing hours.
Note: Be advised the luckiest time for fishing is generally not in the brightest light of midday - so come earlier or later in the day (or anytime if adequate cloud cover.)