Fruit/Vegetable Farmer Position
The Hickories is looking for a full-time grower to help move the farm’s field and greenhouse crop business into its next phase of production. The job offers growth potential and the potential for “incubator farming experience” as well as profit-sharing opportunities to motivated, entrepreneurial individuals. We are a production farm: our compensation is tied to the success of our harvest. Our farmers must work hard and with respect for the importance of their role in providing nourishment to our community. The Hickories’ goal is to provide a solid foundation in sustainable agriculture and additional training in managerial skills for farmers.
Fruit and vegetable farmers work 40/week depending on the season. Generally weekend work will be required throughout the season, in rotation with the other farm staff. Each day starts off with a morning planning meeting to promote understanding of the whole farm system and how tasks are prioritized. Generally mornings are spent harvesting, and afternoons are spent in the fields.
The Hickories mission is to:
- produce safe and nutritious products grown with respect for soil, animals, and people.
- model an agriculture that is innovative and replicable: one that is ecologically, economically, and socially responsible.
- grow new farmers and provide growth opportunities for existing farmers.
- connect our community to working land.
The Hickories seeks a Fruit/Vegetable farmer to assist in all aspects of production for our 16 acres of certified organic fruit and vegetables marketed primarily through our CSA, Farm Store, and wholesale restaurant accounts. The apprentice positions are 8 months, beginning in April concluding in November. Full time grower positions are year long. One season of prior experience (internship) on a farm is required. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes workers compensation insurance, and Aflac insurance options.
Outline of responsibilities and training opportunities:
· Field tractor work with variety of implements , both tractor-based and hand tools
· Greenhouse seeding and management
· Transplanting and direct seeding
· Integrated weed management
· Organic tree fruit and berry production
· Harvesting, washing, and packing
· Cover cropping
· High tunnel management, pruning and trellising as well as mobile tunnel work
· Irrigation systems and management
· Pest and disease control
· Record keeping
· CSA distribution and management
Idea applicants should have the following competencies:
· Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, and email/calendar software
· Ability to work with other Hickories employees in a collegial manner
· Capable of working with a team and alone
· Willing and able to help with emergencies during non-regular hours
· Ability to lift at least 50 pounds on a regular basis
· Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather
This is a physically active role. The Vegetable Farmer must be able and willing to engage in all manner of repetitive farm activity (crouching, bending, lifting, etc.)
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
· Valid US Driver License in good standing